Create unique user experiences with Headless Commerce
Free your website from the shackles of conventional backend structures. Explore the headless commerce architecture to create customized buyer journeys on your online store with XgenTech.
What is headless commerce?
Headless commerce is an ecommerce architecture that decouples the frontend of an online store from its backend to ensure independent functionalities without interfering with one another.
This includes decoupling an online store’s presentation layer that includes text colors, styles, images, buttons, graphs and tables and similar elements, from the backend functionalities like pricing, infrastructure, checkout, etc, to make updates easily.
With over $1.65 billion in funding raised for headless technologies over the last two years, the architecture is soon to see higher adoption rate across the eCommerce industry.
Headless commerce vs Traditional eCommerce
|Traditional eCommerce||Headless commerce|
|Performance||The entire system needs to reload on every page and third party apps significantly slow down the page speed.||The entire store leads only once; uses single page application technology for optimized running.|
|Merchandising workflow||Often requires developers or difficult to use theme changes to update content or rearrange sections on web pages.||Can use a drag and drop editor to rearrange all the sections of a web page and requires low to no developer help.|
|Flexibility and adaptability||Frontend is coupled with the backend, resulting in little room for customizations.||Frontend and backend are decoupled, making endless customizations possible.|
|Omnichannel experience||Difficult to create omnichannel shopping experiences, requiring customizations and higher developer time.||Offers complete omnichannel experiences for online stores, making it possible to tap into multiple channel capabilities.|
How does the headless commerce architecture work?
Headless commerce systems meet online business requirements with frontend and backend functionalities by enabling them to deliver API-driven experiences through a CMS, DXP, application, device or custom interface.
Best technologies supporting headless commerce architecture
What are the benefits of headless commerce?
There are a number of advantages of using headless commerce for your online store. Some of them being:
- Advanced technologies to create unique, visionary and fast websites
- Flexibility and familiarity for frontend and backend developers
- Complete ownership over site architecture for customizations
- Marketing effectiveness for innovation without interfering with backend processes
- Enhanced speed to market for international and omnichannel GTMs
- Higher degrees of personalization for online shopping journeys
- Higher conversion rates and lower customer acquisition costs
- PCI compliance mitigation
- Checkout security and fraud protection
- Open architecture for easy scaling and extensibility
How to get started with headless commerce for your online business?
Before making the move to headless commerce, our eCommerce experts recommend taking the following steps:
- Determine what platform suits your needs
- Choose a headless content management system
- Sync your APIs with the headless commerce CMS
- Customize frontend experiences unique to your brand
- A/B test frontend and backend functionalities
- Go live, monitor performance and optimize
Headless commerce consulting
- Analysis of business needs and required customer touchpoints
- Collaborative evaluation of headless commerce CMS and technologies
- Technology recommendations to meet business goals and resources
- Solution architecture and functional specifications
- Mapping out project budgets and timelines
- Development team structure, skills and roles required for the project
Headless ecommerce development
- Headless commerce infrastructure setup
- Back-end development (platform-based, API-based or microservices-based)
- Front-end development for different customer touchpoints and customizations
- API connections setup between the front-end and back-end layers
- Integration with third-party business systems and ecommerce solutions like CRMS, ERP and similar
Ready to explore headless commerce to grow your business?
Learn more about the headless commerce functionalities, use cases and scalability for your online business with our eCommerce experts.CONTACT US